Thursday, July 10, 2014

DIY Jewelry Station

As we were prepping for Baby B, one of the main things I tried to do was get organized.  I figured (and I was right) that once the little man got here, our house would be overrun with baby supplies and so getting a handle on my own clutter was essential.  One main area of craziness in our bedroom was the little table where I kept my jewelry.  Pieces tended to accumulate as I randomly tossed stuff on the table when I was done wearing it.  This led to tangled necklaces, lost earrings, and forgotten bracelets.  So I decided to create a way to display my jewelry on the wall.  This solved several problems: my table is now jewelry free (and cluttered instead with pacifiers and burp cloths), I can see all my jewelry, and everything stays untangled and in its proper place.  Here is what the whole thing looks like all together:


The main pieces I created were these fabric covered cork boards.  I found the squares at Target and used fabric I already had to cover them (attached it with simple fabric glue).  Then I used silver push pins to hold my pieces and staggered them at different lengths.  I love that the effect is both pretty and functional.  I actually wear these pieces more often because I can see what I have.


To add some interest to the space, I hung this watercolor print of one of our wedding photos that my mom gave to me.


My newly made-over dresser got in on the action too.  It holds my jewelry box, some decorative bottles, and my DIY jewelry tray (where most of my earrings live).  It also currently holds the box with my wedding rings in it, since my fingers are still too swollen to wear them (boo).


Here is just the upper portion of the display:


I completed this organizational project a couple of months ago, but these pictures are from yesterday so that tells you that this system is working!  I cut down on the clutter and created a pretty area in our room all at the same time!

3 comments:

  1. That jewelry station is beautiful. To think that it's a result of DIY feat is just amazing. The watercolor print of your wedding photo even added more beauty and attractiveness to it. Thanks for sharing that, Falon! You gave me a briallint idea. All the best to you!

    Ricky Rowe @ Find A Jewelry Expert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's every little girl's (and big girl's) dream come true :)
    I hope you will share your jewelry station with our Link Up Party- Idea box:
    http://milaslittlethings.com/2015/07/idea-box-thursday-link-party-19.html
    xx
    Mila

    ReplyDelete