Thursday, May 29, 2014

DIY Nursery Mobile

The countdown is seriously on people, Baby Bee could be here at any minute!  Mr. B and I have been busy getting the house ready for the impending arrival, leaving very little time for much else.  Especially since I require long breaks after even short bursts of activity.  We did manage to get the nursery all set and ready to go, make sure you check back later this week for the reveal!  This was a major project (read: time consuming) that I have been working on for a while, and I can't even tell you what a relief it is to have it done!  I used these images as my inspiration for my DIY mobile, and as usual, put my own spin on things.  Here is how it came out!

The first step in this project was to get the rings ready.  I bought two sets of embroidery hoops, one slightly smaller than the other.  I got rid of the hoops with the adjusters and just used the plain hoops.  I used basic craft paint to give them a bit of color.

Then came the first bit of tedious business, cutting out the shapes.  I used a 2 inch circle punch to cut out about 100 circles each in my three nursery colors: blue, yellow and gray.  I used my Silhouette to cut out the animal shapes.  They are the same as the ones I used for my DIY nursery art.

I used a clear thread to string everything together.  I put a piece of double stick tape on the back of the shape and stuck the thread to it.  I quickly discovered that the double stick was not going to be enough, so after attaching the thread to the double stick tape, I also covered it with a piece of regular Scotch tape.  Not super pretty, but it's hard to tell with the finished product.

Then came the part that was super frustrating, and hence, no pictures.  But here is what I did.  I used packing tape to attach each of the strings to the hoop, taping on the inside of the hoop.  Once the hoops were set, it was time to attach them to one another.  This required some help from Mr. B.  First, I attached twine to the smaller hoop, then had Mr. B hold the bigger one while I tied the two together.  Then I had him hold onto the bigger hoop while I threaded some ribbon through, which we used to hang the mobile in the nursery.  I criss-crossed two ribbons so the mobile would hang straight.  Mr. B used a basic thumbtack to hang the mobile in the nursery.  Here is the mobile, and a sneak peek at the final nursery reveal!

Luckily, I really love how the mobile came out, otherwise I would be super annoyed with how long it took!  Word to the wise:  leave yourself plenty of time if this is a project you are going to tackle!

**This post contains affiliate links.  If you click these links and purchase the products, I will receive a small commission.  

No comments:

Post a Comment