Monday, September 30, 2013

Guest Post: Disneyland Treats from Jessica at The Happiest Blog on Earth!

Happy Monday readers!  So excited to get to kick off the week with a guest post from a friend of mine from high school, Jessica.  She is going to fill you in on all the yummy treats available at Disneyland, and how you can replicate them at home!  Take it away, Jess!

Hello Bees Times Three readers! My name is Jessica, and I'm here visiting from The Happiest Blog on Earth! I am a long time friend of Falon's and love that we share a love for so many of the same things from theater and drama to all things glitter- and of course, Disneyland. And what could be happier than sharing a blog post about Disneyland? A blog post about treats at Disneyland. Hang on because you're about to get hungry.

The scent of cinnamon sugar, the aroma of freshly popped popcorn and people walking by with chocolate covered bananas will get you every time! We're talking about Disneyland treats worth biting into. 

Apparently the only way my husband can function at Disneyland is by consuming huge amounts of yummy snacks and treats. I learned that when we went to Disneyland and California Adventure on our honeymoon. I wanted to go on ride after ride all day and he wanted to consume sugar all day.

Since I am all about compromise, and I've learned a thing or two about my husband over the years, this trip I supplied him with a Disney gift card to use however he wished. Here's a break down of his sweet treat choices:

Churros

Shoshanah / Foter / CC BY
Deep fried pastry strips coated in cinnamon sugar. Delicious to share, amazing to indulge in on your own.

At Disneyland: On carts scattered throughout the park. Just follow your nose.

At Home: The best place to get one at home is Costco. If you don't have a membership, you can always try your grocery freezer section, or a homemade version.

Mickey Premium Bar

rickpilot_2000 / Foter / CC BY
Sure, it's just vanilla ice cream covered in a chocolate shell. But this is a Mickey shell people and it's delicious. I think I only got about 1/2 an ear before my husband and kids gobbled it down. But it's so cute and irresistible- kinda like Mickey Mouse himself. 

At Disneyland: On carts scattered throughout the park with other frozen delights. 

At Home: I've heard you can find them on occasion at Wal Mart. Or simply settle for this awesome "Melt with You" men's t-shirt inspired by the ever famous Mickey Premium Bar.

Frozen Banana

You've just gotta have a frozen banana at Disneyland. We had-um-several during our last trip. And another amazing find was at California Adventure's Buena Vista Street where we ordered an ice cream sundae with a frozen banana in it! Amazing!

At Disneyland: On carts scattered throughout the park with other frozen delights. 

At Home: Super easy to make yourself. My favorite way to make and eat them: slice bananas, lay out on a parchment covered banking sheet, spoon melted chocolate in heaps on top of sliced bananas. Freeze and eat. It's like frozen finger food goodness. 

Popcorn

Loren Javier / Foter / CC BY-ND
Seriously, I have a problem. And it involves popcorn. I cannot resist buttered popcorn. I can't go to the movies without buying popcorn, I can barely get through a Target trip without popcorn (I just use the kids as an excuse) and I certainly cannot go through 2 days at the Disneyland Resort without having a bag of popcorn (or 2).


At Disneyland: On carts scattered throughout the park. 

At Home: Microwave, air popped with butter and salt and of course we already covered Target and the movies.

Dole Whips

Sam Howzit / Foter / CC BY

I honestly had never heard of these until seeing copycat recipes all over Pinterest. After tasting my first Dole Whip Float, I feel completely deprived. I have missed out for so long! If you haven't tried it, it's basically soft serve pineapple ice cream. But don't worry, there are no chunks! No one in our camp had any complaints- expect that there wasn't enough!


At Disneyland: Tiki Juice Bar in Adventure Land. You can also sneak around to the back which is in the waiting area for the Enchanted Tiki Room, lines might be a bit shorter and there's plenty of places to sit. 

At Home: Try one of the recipes to make at home. I've also heard you can get one at either the Dole Plantation or at Aulani, both in Hawaii. 

Mickey Pretzel

woofiegrrl / Foter / CC BY-ND

It's hard to believe we ate all of this in one day, in addition to regular meals. We had a late lunch (and obviously so many snacks) that our family of 5 split this yummy pretzel for dinner. Cheapest meal we've eaten in the park to-date. ;)


At Disneyland: We grabbed this at a little location near Indiana Jones.

At Home: I don't have any Mickey shaping tricks for you, but you can make regular soft pretzels at home with this recipe, or pick up one at the local mall. 


It's a good thing Disney stocks their theme parks full of the best goodies around, tempting your tastebuds at every corner. Tell us about your favorites, we're always looking for new things to try on our next trip.





1 comment: