Friday, October 5, 2012

Book Review: Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-Be

One thing y'all should know about me is that I like to read.  Like a lot.  And my reading patterns tend to follow whatever my latest obsession happens to be.  So right now I am reading a lot about babies.  In just a short time, I have realized that there are helpful pregnancy books, scary pregnancy books, and boring pregnancy books.  And because I appreciate a good book review, I am going to share some of my thoughts about said books with you!

My first baby book review is for Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-Be by Rebecca Eckler (Villard).  I chose this book to read for a couple of very simple reasons.  Number one, the cover is pink.  Number two, it has a martini on it.  These are both things I can appreciate and enjoy.  I knew right away that this was not going to be a "boring" pregnancy book.  This book is the true story of Eckler's journey through an unexpected pregnancy and how she handles the transition from a hot, young, stylish journalist to a nine months pregnant (she dubs the third trimester the "even fatter months) woman who can barely put her shoes and socks on.  While the book certainly included some scary truths about pregnancy (the cravings!  the weight gain!  the not sleeping!), Eckler delivers these details in a way that is funny and charming, making the whole process seem slightly less daunting.  I particularly enjoyed Eckler's sneaky tricks to make it seem like she was still enjoying her favorite libations, all so her friends wouldn't know something was up.  I will totally be stealing those tricks some day.  Knocked Up is--what I am quickly learning--a rarity in the baby book world.  Informative, yet still entertaining.

If you are interested in reading Knocked Up for yourself, click on the cover to be taken to Amazon.  (See what I mean about the enticing cover?)



***Please note that this review, along with all of my others, is strictly my opinion.  I have not been paid in any way by the author or publisher.  This is just what I think y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment